Houston Girl Friday is seeking a QuickBooks Bookkeeper to join our expanding team. The company has three main operations:
- Directly [“in-house”] providing support solutions to small businesses and individuals (BPO)
- Project management for small businesses and individuals, often temporary or task-driven (Subcontracting)
- Recruitment, training and staffing on behalf of small businesses and individuals (RPO)
Our target market is the estimated 30% of the 27 million small businesses in the United States that outsource administrative, creative and technical tasks to a contingent workforce.
This is a long-term, internal support role reporting to the Operations Manager. The position is 90% working onsite, and 10% working remotely from your own home or mobile office (“virtual”). The ideal candidate should be based within 20 miles of downtown Houston.
General Setup & Accounting Records:
- Create and maintain QuickBooks Online company data. Understand the account and company setup steps and maintain a general knowledge of the major areas of the QuickBooks Online application.
- Create and maintain QuickBooks Online users, and set and maintain the appropriate access levels.
- Export periodic backups of the QuickBooks Online company data.
- Create and maintain vendor records, including contact information, payment terms, and any other information required.
- Create and maintain customer records including contact, delivery and payment information.
- Customize the company invoice form and other forms, such as sales receipts and estimates as needed.
- Create and maintain employees including contact information, payroll salary or rate information, and related employment data, such as W-9s and other new hire paperwork.
- Write checks in QuickBooks Online.
- Invoice customers. Upon approval, distribute invoices to customers via email or mail.
- Manage bills received from vendors.
- Create and maintain time tracking records, if applicable.
- Prepare estimates if requested.
- If estimates are used, match invoices to estimates. If time tracking is used, tie to invoicing.
- Record bank transactions as needed. Download bank transactions into bank accounts.
- Prepare or monitor the preparation of payroll.
- Make journal entries as directed.
Reporting and Reconciliation:
- Track the cash balance and alert owner or manager with regular cash flow reports.
- Customize and memorize reports for the owner, outside accounting experts, government agencies, outside payroll services, and other interested parties. These reports include account balances, profit and loss figures, and transactional reports.
- Reconcile bank accounts and perform account analysis on assets and liability accounts. (Note: this duty should be segregated from the employee who receives the checks and goes to the bank.)
- Prepare 1099s for application vendors.
- Make (or ensure they’re made) payroll tax deposits, and create and file (or ensure it’s done) payroll tax reports.
- Create and file sales tax reports.
Interfaces and Miscellaneous:
- Make bank deposits, order checks, verify bank drafts and charges, and resolve bank errors.
- Work with CPA and QuickBooks Certified ProAdvisor consultant as requested.
- Answer questions from vendors, employees, and customers about their bills, paychecks, and invoices.
- Understand the capabilities of each level of QuickBooks Online including Free, Basic, and Plus.
- Understand the add-ons that work with QuickBooks Online, such as payroll, credit cards, and online banking. Be knowledgeable about what’s available.
- Stay briefed on Intuit updates and news that affect the QuickBooks Online application and accounting rules and requirements.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Advanced proficiency in Intuit QuickBooks.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Exemplary organizational and communication [verbal, written, observation] skills.
- A sense of confidence, passion and perfectionism. An inescapable need to succeed.
- Capable of effectively collaborating in a virtual workplace environment.
- Outside-of-the-Box, forward-thinking capacity.
- Innately proactive, resourceful and the ability to work independently with no supervision.
- 5+ years minimum in an accounting support role in an office environment.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred.
- Given the virtual aspect of the position, you must have your own PC and/or MAC laptop, equipped with Microsoft Office 2010 or later. #BYOD
- Must reside within 20 miles of downtown Houston, with a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Clear background check.
- Polished, professional and personable appearance at all times.
HOURS, PAY & INCENTIVES
Our organization operates 7 days a week; preference is always given to candidates willing to working evenings, weekends and even holidays, if needed.
- The QuickBooks Bookkeeper is a contingent, part-time position. There is plenty of work to do; room to quickly increase for the right team member.
- Schedule is semi-flexible, with most assignments having a 4 to 24 hour turnaround time.
- Compensation to be determined based upon experience, skill set and availability.
- Bonus incentives for Client referrals and acquisition.
- Access to the company’s Lynda.com subscription [~3000 web training courses].
Established in 2010, Virtual Executive Personal Assistants of America, Inc. (VEPAA®) doing business as the Girl Friday brand of companies offer a vast array of both virtual and onsite support services to small business owners, solopreneurs and busy executives throughout the United States. Learn more at www.vepaa.com.