Houston Girl Friday is seeking a Public Relations Assistant to join our expanding team. The company has three main operations:
- Directly [“in-house”] providing support solutions to small businesses and individuals (BPO)
- Project management for small businesses and individuals, often temporary or task-driven (Subcontracting)
- Recruitment, training and staffing on behalf of small businesses and individuals (RPO)
Our target market is the estimated 30% of the 27 million small businesses in the United States that outsource administrative, creative and technical tasks to a contingent workforce.
This is a long-term, internal support role reporting to the Operations Assistant. The position is hybrid: 75% working remotely from your own home or mobile office (“virtual”), and 25% in the field. The Public Relations Assistant must be based in the United States.
- Implement, execute, monitor and optimize both internal (Company) and external (Client) media strategies.
- Identify, establish, maintain and retain key media relationships – local, regional and national.
- Conceptualize, develop and deliver compelling press releases, blog posts, presentations, pitch letters, case studies, white papers, newsletters, company bios and other publicity materials.
- Media Kit assembly and distribution.
- Monitor and improve website copy.
- Delegate, supervise and assist the Company’s creative team – currently consisting of Graphic Designers, Copywriters and Web Designers.
- Execute the Company’s social media plan.
- Other virtual and non-virtual public relations related assignments, as necessary.
- Documentation of public relations activities.
- Act as a team player and provide support with overflow tasks/busy periods as needed.
- Superior interpersonal skills, with the confidence to approach, communicate and resonate with people at all levels of seniority and business acumen.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Proficiency in WordPress.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite/Creative Cloud is a plus but not mandatory.
- Exemplary communication [verbal, written, observation] skills.
- A sense of confidence, passion and perfectionism. An inescapable need to succeed.
- Capable of performing and effectively collaborating in a virtual workplace environment.
- Outside-of-the-Box, forward-thinking capacity.
- Innately proactive, resourceful and the ability to work independently with no supervision.
- 5+ years minimum in a communications, public relations or marketing role.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred, preferably in Public Relations, Marketing or Communications, or a proven track record in Public Relations for another SMB.
- Given the virtual aspect of the position, you must have your own PC and/or MAC laptop, equipped with Microsoft Office 2010 or later. #BYOD
- Must reside within the United States.
- Clear background check.
- Polished, professional and personable appearance at all times.
HOURS, PAY & INCENTIVES
Our organization operates 7 days a week; preference is always given to candidates willing to working evenings, weekends and even holidays, if needed.
- The Public Relations Assistant is a contingent, part-time position. There is plenty of work to do; room to quickly increase for the right team member.
- Schedule is semi-flexible, with most assignments having a 4 to 24 hour turnaround time.
- Compensation to be determined based upon experience, skill set and availability.
- Bonus incentives for Client referrals and acquisition.
- Access to the company’s Lynda.com subscription [~3000 web training courses].
Established in 2010, Virtual Executive Personal Assistants of America, Inc. (VEPAA®) doing business as the Girl Friday brand of companies offer a vast array of both virtual and onsite support services to small business owners, solopreneurs and busy executives throughout the United States. Learn more at www.vepaa.com.